Research and study of media literacy
Our department has long been engaged in theory, applications (media pedagogy), and research in media literacy and media education. As a part of a three-year project funded by an internal grant agency, we have been preparing a Media Literacy Lexicon, both in electronic and printed form. Our experts (especially Doc. PhDr. Daniel Bína, Ph.D. and Mgr. Zdeněk Sloboda) have participated in many conferences with contributions on partial topics in this area. In the past, we also conducted research on media socialization (education) in the family in the context of new media.
The Study of Media Literacy of the Population of the Czech Republic was conducted for the Council for Radio and Television Broadcasting (Rada pro rozhlasové a televizní vysílání, shortly RRTV) (nr: N006 / 20 / V00030548), which is a national media authority, but also guarantee of increasing the media literacy of the Czech population. Survey on the representative sample of the Czech population (15+ years) was done in September 2021 together wit the Stem/Mark research agency. The study in the population under 15 years of age was conducted in the form of group interviews with age groups 5 to 7, 8 to 10, and 11 to 14 years and was significantly affected by coronavirus restrictions. However, 11 groups were organized, combining different research techniques (own media production, reflection on the media reception [of the magazine and videos], and a discussion on access to the media and media activities of children and adolescents). A total of 83 boys and girls from various parts of the Czech Republic took part. Data collection took place in June 2021.
The research team consisted of: Mgr. Zdeněk Sloboda, Mgr. Petra Foretová, Ph.D., Bc. Magdalena Michlova, Bc. Kristýna Sudková and Mgr. Jan Burianec.
Two research reports are accesible either on the website of the RRTV or here:
- Study of Media Literacy of the population of the Czech Republic (principal investigator: Mgr. Zdeněk Sloboda, RRTV 2021)
- Theory and analysis of changes in media communication: current challenges of the theory and research of media literacy (principal investigator: doc. Petr Orság, IGA UP 2019–2020 and 2020–2021)
- Children, parents, and new media (principal investigator: Mgr. Zdeněk Sloboda, IGA UP 2014–2015)
- Sloboda, Z., Foretová, P., Michlová, M., Sudková, K. 2021. Studie mediální gramotnosti populace ČR: Mediální gramotnost osob mladších 15 let. Rada pro rozhlasové a televizní vysílání, Filozofická fakulta Univerzity Palackého: Praha, Olomouc.
- Burianec, J., Foretová, P., Sloboda, Z. 2021. Studie mediální gramotnosti populace ČR: Mediální gramotnost osob starších 15 let. Rada pro rozhlasové a televizní vysílání, Filozofická fakulta Univerzity Palackého: Praha, Olomouc.
- Sloboda, Zdenek. 2015 (2020 e-book). Media education in the family: attitudes, tools, challenges. Palacký University Publishing, Olomouc.